2013 Institute Proceedings
Character in an Age of Self-Promotion: Exploring the Role of Social Media on College Student Development
January 31st – February 2nd, 2013, Tallahassee, FL
For over two decades the Jon C. Dalton Institute on College Student Values at Florida State University has focused on issues related to values, ethics, and character in college student development. Thanks to a generous gift from the John Templeton Foundation, the 23rd annual Dalton Institute will continue this tradition by examining how social media is influencing character development in college and the role of higher education in encouraging the virtues of authenticity and humility in an age of self-promotion.
The 2013 Dalton Institute examined higher education’s role in helping students to navigate an increasingly digital college environment. The Institute program will review what leading colleges are doing to engage students in ethical reflection and explore current issues and developments related to the impact of social media on college student identity development and moral commitment.
Major questions for discussion included:
- What are the most important contemporary forms and influences of social media on college students and the higher education environment?
- What impact (or influence) do social media have on today’s college curriculum?
- What is the impact of excessive self-promotion on college student moral and identity development?
- How do social media influence the development of character and identity in today’s college students?
- Why are the values of humility, generosity and authenticity critical in the development of character?
- As students learn to navigate social media tools, how can educators assist them in presenting their authentic selves to the virtual and physical world?
- What are the effects of self-promotion and branding on social relationships and interactions among college students?
- What are the most important contemporary collegiate practices and programs that focus on the use of social media in the development of character and values in college students?
- How can social media be utilized to present an authentic virtual representation of colleges and universities and their values?
From the pre-conference until after many had returned home, the 2013 Dalton Institute participants, volunteers, and coordinators shared statements of learning, inspiration, and thanks. Here are links to Tweets made throughout the Dalton Institute:
Day 1: Thursday, January 31, 2013
Day 2: Friday, February 1, 2013
Day 3: Saturday, February 2, 2013